Mendota's Sweet Corn Festival Corn Eating Contest returns on the list of events this year.
Mendota’s Sweet Corn Festival Corn Eating Contest returns on the list of events this year.
Northern Illinois Ambulance Billing of Mendota will sponsor the contest, slated for 4:30 p.m. Aug. 10.
The Corn Eating Contest is open to anyone ages 12 and younger. An Apple iPod Shuffle will be awarded to the person who eats the most ears of sweet corn in 10 minutes.
The first 25 people registered will be eligible to participate. Registration begins at 3:30 p.m. behind the steam engine at the corn-serving area on Illinois Avenue.
Additional rules are as follows:
1. All judges decisions are final.
2. There will be a 10-minute time limit on consuming the ears. Contestants must stop immediately upon the sounding of the whistle.
3. In the event of a tie, a tiebreaker of a five-minute time extension will be allowed until the winner is determined.
4. If more than 10 kernels are left on the ear, that ear will be eliminated towards the total count.
5. No utensils may be used at any time.
6. Unlimited non-alcoholic beverages are allowed during the contest (furnished by the contestant).
The Mendota Area Chamber of Commerce and Northern Illinois Ambulance Billing remind everyone that sweet corn will be served free to the public beginning at 2 p.m. Aug. 10, just as it has been for the last 66.
For more information on all of the events of Mendota’s Sweet Corn Festival, which runs Aug. 7-10, call (815) 539-6507 for a free brochure or visit www.sweetcornfestival.com.